- Chemistry and Life Sciences
- Patent Attorney , Partner
- Arnhem (NL)
- +31 26 368 75 25
- "Your technology knowledge and my patent thinking can create a win for your business"
Hajo Kraak has been a patent attorney at V.O. since 2007. Prior to V.O. he worked as in-house patent counsel in the chemical industry (fibers, electronic materials, chemicals, coatings) and in research-based pharma. Hajo continues to work for chemical as well as pharmaceutical companies. He graduated in organic and polymer chemistry at Leiden University (1987), and has been active in patents ever since.
As a patent attorney Hajo has dealt with a broad range of chemical, pharmaceutical, and nutritional sciences and technologies. He gained considerable experience in obtaining patents and conducting opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office, including oral proceedings, and in international patent litigation. Also, he has been active in conducting patent due diligence investigations and in developing patent strategies for various businesses, including life cycle management in pharma.
Hajo is a member of the Dutch delegation for the EPI Council and a tutor for the Dutch qualifying examination.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (2007-present)
- Head of Global Patent Department, Organon (2001-2007)
- Member of IP Managent Team, Akzo Nobel (2001-2007)
- Senior patent attorney, Organon (1997-2001)
- Management team patent department, Akzo Nobel (1995-1997)
- Patent counsel, Akzo Nobel (1987-1997)
- MSc in Organic and Polymer Chemistry, Leiden University (1987)
- European Patent Attorney
- Dutch Patent Attorney
- Energy and sustainability
- IP due diligence
- Life Science
- Lifecycle management
- Materials science
- Medical sciences
- Organic chemistry
- Physical chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
- Polymer physics
- Supplementary protection certificates (SPC)
- "Hajo Kraak is a high-flying chemist. He has plentiful chemical and pharmaceutical industry experience to draw on; with a flair for oppositions and litigation" (IAM Patent 1000, 2016).
- Chemical, pharmaceutical and nutritional sciences sage Hajo Kraak makes his debut in the guide this year. While many attorneys here have industry experience, Kraak is particularly good at communicating in the in-house language; prior to joining the firm, he spent two decades in senior patent roles at Akzo Nobel and Organon (IAM Patent 1000, 2015).
- Presentation "Outsourcing IP tasks: finding the perfect balance for your in-house IP department" (Global Patent Congress, Copenhagen, 2014)
- Track Leader Intellectual Property (Innovation for Health congress, Amsterdam, 2014)
- Debater "De reikwijdte van octrooibescherming en de bijdrage aan de stand van de techniek" (AIPPI Symposium, Zeist, 12 maart 2014)
- "From in-house to external patent department" (Global Patent Congress, Copenhagen, 2013)
- "Het EU octrooi in de praktijk" (Octrooicentrum NL, Den Haag, 2013)
Professional & Community Activities
- Tutor CEIPI course for European patent qualification (1993-2003)
- Tutor Professional Education Dutch Patent Attorneys (as of 2000)
- Member EPI Council for The Netherlands