- Mechanics, Physics and Electronics
- Patent Attorney , Partner
- Groningen (NL)
- +31 50 314 42 88
- "What really makes the difference for a case to succeed can usually be learned from your client"
Even before considering becoming a patent attorney, Kim was involved in drafting a patent application resulting from a design project in the course of his studies. His interest in innovation strategies and management of R&D is reflected in the attention he pays, together with his clients, in establishing an optimal fit of activities in the field of patents and other intellectual property to the business strategy of his clients.
As a patent attorney, Kim has particular expertise in the fields of office equipment, medical devices, software and business method related inventions dairy farm equipment, well engineering and maritime engineering.
Kim's activities range from advisory (e.g. strategy, patentability and freedom to operate, valuation) through drafting applications, prosecution to infringement litigation, in which he has a vast experience.
Kim is Head of the Mechanics, Physics and Electronics section and Head of the Groningen office.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (1987-present)
- MSc in Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology (1987)
- European Patent Attorney
- Dutch Patent Attorney
- Appliances / electronics
- Biomedical technology
- Building industry
- Civil engineering
- Construction physics
- Consumer products
- Energy and sustainability
- Industrial design
- Machines and tools
- Mechanical engineering
- Medical devices / tools
- Medical technology
- Software / computer
- F J Sijtsma, R van Niele, et al; Uitgevonden in het Noorden: octrooien als maatstaf voor innovatie in Groningen, Friesland en Drenthe; ISBN 9789036719896 (2004)
- A H K Tan, Beoordeling octrooi-aanvragen software is versoepeld, Automatiserings Gids 17-3-2000, nr. 11, blz. 19
- Seminar Recent Decisions of the Boards of Appeal of the EPO (2012)
- Member national group AIPPI questions 158 (Patentability of Business Methods, Chairman, 2000)
Professional & Community Activities
- Member organizing committee 60th anniversary Dutch Patent Attorney Association (1996)
- Member of management committee (2003-2008) and training and juniors committee (1998 - now), VW DTP (sailing club)