- Mechanics, Physics and Electronics
- Patent Attorney , Partner
- Arnhem (NL)
- +31 26 368 75 20
- "A broad perspective and creativity as well as a keen eye for detail are needed for obtaining the best IP-protection"
Herman Witmans started his career as a staff member of the production facility of Thomassen International B.V., a manufacturer of gas turbines and large pumps. Before that he was trained as an mechanical engineer at Delft University of Technology. Herman started as a patent attorney in 1990 at V.O. He has a mechanical practice and works for SME’s and large companies that are developing production devices for the semiconductor industry, medical devices, household devices, and that are active in power generation technology and driving technology.
Over the years, Herman has gained a vast experience with medical devices, apparatus for producing cd's, dvd's and OLEDs, machinery for the packaging industry and power generation, pumps and household appliances as well as with software for controlling such devices and machinery. Herman has wide experience in patent cases before the opposition divisions and appeal boards of the EPO as well as the court in The Hague.
As a tutor for the official education for the qualification examination for Dutch patent attorneys, Herman teaches the practice of writing patent applications. Herman was also President of the Netherlands Institute of Patent Attorneys.
Herman is Head of the Arnhem branch office of V.O. and member of the board of directors of V.O.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (1990-present)
- Thomassen International B.V. (1989-1990)
- MSc in Mechanical engineering, Delft University of Technology (1989)
- European Patent Attorney
- Dutch Patent Attorney
- Appliances / electronics
- Building industry
- Civil engineering
- Construction physics
- Consumer products
- Energy and sustainability
- Industrial design
- Machines and tools
- Mechanical engineering
- Medical diagnostics
- Medical sciences
- Process technology
- Software / computer
Professional & Community Activities
- President of the Board of the Dutch Institute of Patent Attorneys (2006-2010)
- Secretary of the Board of the Dutch Institute of Patent Attorneys (2005-2006)