Bernard Ledeboer started his career as an Patent Attorney with V.O. in 1997. Before, he worked at a large law firm in Amsterdam. He holds an MSc in Mechanical Engineering, and an LLM in Intellectual property litigation.
Bernard’s general expertise lies in the field of mechanical and civil engineering. He has specialized in machine construction, flexible manufacturing systems, conveyor systems, offshore techniques, surgical instruments and consumer products. His clients are of all sizes, with a focus on midsized industrial supply companies. Bernard has a pragmatic approach to IP protection, and is a word smith who enjoys direct communication with his clients. Bernard’s practice is divided between patent prosecution and patent litigation. He has wide experience in patent litigation cases before the court in The Hague, and opposition and appeal cases before the European Patent Office. He applies his litigation experience to build strong patent portfolios for his clients.
Bernard is founding member of the V.O. China Desk and member of the board of directors of V.O.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (1997-present)
- LL.M in Law, Nottingham Law School (2011)
- MSc in Mechanical engineering, Delft University of Technology (1995)
- Economics, Beloit College USA
- A founding member of the firm’s China desk, Bernard Ledeboer is a font of insight on the Middle Kingdom (IAM Patent 1000, 2017).
- Mechanical engineer Bernard Ledeboer has an LLM in IP litigation and is regularly tested in infringement cases; he recently obtained a favourable judgment for Ascom, working together with Peter Hendricks of Freshfields fame (IAM Patent 1000, 2016).
- Bernard Ledeboer is another consistently high-functioning mechanical engineering connoisseur. Operating on both sides of the contentious/non-contentious divide, he is well positioned to disburse holistic advice (IAM Patent 1000, 2015).
- Recognized as IP Star (2015, 2014) by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Bernard Ledeboer is the first port of call for lawyers looking for technical assistance on litigation briefs (IAM Patent 1000, 2014).
- “Excellent communicator” Leo Jessen and Bernard Ledeboer are the top mechanical engineering specialists there (IAM Patent 1000, 2013).
- Bernard Ledeboer’s legal training and experience of cases before the court in The Hague make him a joy to work with – he understands the difficulties facing lawyers and intuitively knows how a case should be presented to a judge. A civil and mechanical engineering specialist, Ledeboer has niche expertise in machine construction, conveyor systems and surgical products (IAM Patent 1000, 2012).
- ‘Patent Litigation at the patents County Court’, Extended Piece of Work for the LLM in Intellectual Property Litigation at Nottingham Law School, Nottingham Trent University, 2011.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member of the Netherlands Patent Attorney Organization, EPI, AIPPI, CEIPI, UNION