Bettina Hermann started her career in the IP field in 2001 in a German IP boutique. Bettina studied biology at the Technical University Munich with an emphasis on microbiology, genetics, biochemistry and clinical chemistry. She received her PhD in biology from the Technical University Munich and did practical work at the Max-Planck-Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, before she became Postdoc at the IGBMC in Illkirch Strasbourg, France.
Bettina has experience in advising small and mid-size biotech companies, in particular in the field of cancer therapies, and providing patentability, validity and FTO analyses for investors. She also represents clients in opposition proceedings before the German Patent and Trademark Office and the European Patent Office and in nullity proceedings before the Federal Patent Court as well as in infringement proceedings before German regional courts.
Bettina is head of the Munich office of V.O. She is a member of the editorial staff of the V.O. Newsletter and was on the board of Women in IP e.V.
- Patent and Trademark Attorney, V.O. (2008-present)European Litigator, CEIPI (2010-present)
- Postdoc at the IGBMC in Illkirch Strasbourg, France (1999-2001)
- Postdoc at the Max-Planck-Institute of Psychiatry (1999)
- PhD, Max-Planck-Institute of Psychiatry in cooperation with the Technical University Munich (1998)
- Diploma (corresponding to master´s degree) in Biology (1995)
- “For dynamic emerging and established biotechnology companies, Bettina Hermann is just the ticket with her highly cultivated drafting skills and strategic wisdom. She stays the course in lengthy examination proceedings and emerges with ironclad protections for her clients’ cornerstone innovations” (IAM Patent 1000, 2021).
- Recognized as IP Star (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023) by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Recommended Individual (IAM Patent 1000, 2020, 2021, 2022).
- “Bettina Hermann, who works out of V.O., ‘provides excellent and timely advice, always with a kind and helpful manner’ in her preferred fields of microbiology, genetics and chemistry” (IAM Patent 1000, 2019).
- “Biotechnology authority Bettina Hermann at V.O. is assiduous in her drafting of applications; nothing escapes her gimlet eye” (IAM Patent 1000, 2018).
Professional & Community Activities
- Women of Association of Intellectual Property Experts
- Member of AIPPI (Association International pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle)
- Member of FICPI (Fédération Internationale de la Conseils en Propriété Industrielle)
- Member of LES (Licensing Executives Society)
- Member of GRUR (German Association for Intellectual Property and Copyright e.V.)
- Member of EPI (European Patent Institute)Member of German Patent Bar Association
- B.C. Hermann, “Interaction of neurosteroids and neurosteroid receptors of the serotonergic and dopaminergic system”, 1998, PhD at the Max-Planck-Institute of Psychiatry, Munich, in the department of Prof. Dr. Dr. Holsboer in cooperation with the Technical University Munich, department of biochemistry.