Hajo Kraak has been a patent attorney at V.O. since 2007. Prior to V.O. he worked as in-house patent counsel in the chemical industry (fibers, electronic materials, chemicals, coatings) and in research-based pharma. Hajo continues to work for chemical as well as pharmaceutical companies. He graduated in organic and polymer chemistry at Leiden University (1987), and has been active in patents ever since.
As a patent attorney Hajo has dealt with a broad range of chemical, pharmaceutical, and nutritional sciences and technologies. He gained considerable experience in obtaining patents and conducting opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office, including oral proceedings, and in international patent litigation. Also, he has been active in conducting patent due diligence investigations and in developing patent strategies for various businesses, including life cycle management in pharma.
Hajo is a member of the Dutch delegation for the EPI Council and a tutor for the Dutch qualifying examination.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (2007-present)
- Head of Global Patent Department, Organon (2001-2007)
- Member of IP Managent Team, Akzo Nobel (2001-2007)
- Senior patent attorney, Organon (1997-2001)
- Management team patent department, Akzo Nobel (1995-1997)
- Patent counsel, Akzo Nobel (1987-1997)
- MSc in Organic and Polymer Chemistry, Leiden University (1987)
- A former in-house counsel at AkzoNobel, Kraak is a legal and scientific polymath who is a heavyweight in the Dutch IP scene (IAM Patent 1000, 2018).
- Chemistry maestro Hajo Kraak is a trusted partner for clients seeking bulletproof patent portfolio advice (IAM Patent 1000, 2017).
- Hajo Kraak is a high-flying chemist. He has plentiful chemical and pharmaceutical industry experience to draw on; with a flair for oppositions and litigation (IAM Patent 1000, 2016).
- Chemical, pharmaceutical and nutritional sciences sage Hajo Kraak makes his debut in the guide this year. While many attorneys here have industry experience, Kraak is particularly good at communicating in the in-house language; prior to joining the firm, he spent two decades in senior patent roles at Akzo Nobel and Organon (IAM Patent 1000, 2015).
Professional & Community Activities
- Tutor CEIPI course for European patent qualification (1993-2003)
- Tutor Professional Education Dutch Patent Attorneys (as of 2000)
- Member EPI Council for The Netherlands