Leo Jessen started his career as a patent attorney in 1992 with V.O. He studied Industrial Design Engineering and after passing his attorneys exams Leo studied law.
Leo’s clients are mainly in the field of mechanical engineering. His specialisms are consumer products, medical appliances and ergonomics.
Together with his clients Leo defines their IP strategy and where appropriate files, prosecutes and defends their IP rights worldwide. This also includes challenging third party rights, licensing and FTO studies. Leo has a wide experience in patent cases before the court in The Hague and before the EPO.
Leo is actively involved in the training of new patent attorneys in Dutch, European and international patent practice. Furthermore he is an active member (chair) of the IP enforcement and Litigation group of FICPI, the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (1992-present)
- Freelance consultant in Ergonomics and product design (1989-1992)
- Ergonomics Department, Volvo Cars (1989)
- MSc in Industrial Design Engineering, Delft University of Technology (1989)
- Heineken is one of the big names that engage Leo Jessen for his drafting and prosecution talents (IAM Patent 1000, 2017).
- A key reference for companies in the consumer products sector, Leo Jessen has recently been advising Heineken on the expansion of its patent portfolio (IAM Patent 1000, 2016).
- Leo Jessen is one of a rare breed, having spent his entire career at a single firm. With V.O. since 1992, the quick-witted strategist advises mechanical engineering clients on how to procure, defend and monetise IP rights (IAM Patent 1000, 2015).
- Recognized as IP Star (2015, 2014) by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Leo Jessen can address the myriad of concerns which arise in the mechanical engineering space (IAM Patent 1000, 2014).
- “Excellent communicator” Leo Jessen and Bernard Ledeboer are the top mechanical engineering specialists there (IAM Patent 1000, 2013).
- Leo Jessen is renowned for his creative approach, especially in relation to mechanical patents. Mechanical engineering is his field and he has profound knowledge of consumer products, ergonomics and medical appliances (IAM Patent 1000, 2012).
Professional & Community Activities
- FICPI; Chair of CET Group 6: IP Enforcement and Litigation