Marie-José started her career as a patent attorney in 1992, after having worked as a scientist in the field of catalysis, ceramics and porous materials in an R&D Department of DSM.
A focus of Marie-José has been to advise small and medium sized companies in the building of their IP portfolio taking into account their specific situation and individual needs, to assist them in growth, backed up by legal certainty.
Marie-José has also advised multinationals in the creation and expansion of their IP positions for specific product lines.
Marie-José has been involved in national infringement cases and nullity actions in the field of chemistry and mechanics and has represented clients in multinational litigation as well. In her opinion timely settling the case often leads to a winning situation for both parties.
Marie-José is regularly asked by the Court to act as an expert in descriptive seizures, nullity actions and infringement cases.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (2012-present)
- Heading Patent activity, Gevers Belgium (2010-2012)
- Head of Gevers Patents, Antwerp (1999-2012)
- Patent Attorney, Gevers Patents, Antwerp (1996-1999)
- Patent Attorney, DSM (1992-1996)
- Group Leader Catalysis Group, DSM (1985-1992)
- Patent Litigation Course, epi (2005)
- PhD in Chemistry, University of Antwerp (1986)
- MSc in Chemistry, University of Antwerp (1981)
- The “extremely good” Marie-José Luys has vast knowledge of chemical and mechanical innovations; she frequently advises start-up companies on IP development, with licensing another key focus (IAM Patent 1000, 2017).
- Chemistry ace Marie-José Luys is a guru for SMEs looking to build up their portfolios (IAM Patent 1000, 2015).
- Recognized as IP Star (2015, 2014, 2017, 2018) by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Marie-José Luys is “consistently thorough and dedicated to achieving the best results” (IAM Patent 1000, 2014).
- Marie-José Luys is now the star name at V.O.’s Leuven office. One of the country’s foremost patent attorneys, she is expected to maintain this position in her new role (IAM Patent 1000, 2013).
- Marie-José Luys is a top choice, particularly for her litigation support work (IAM Patent 1000, 2012).
Professional & Community Activities
- CEIPI tutor Antwerp
- Visiting professor University of Antwerp – Intellectual Property
- Member qualification committee Belgian Patent Attorneys