Marco Box started his career as a patent attorney in 2003 after having worked in engineering designing high tech measurement equipment and devices. Having a background in physics and instrument design/engineering Marco has a broad understanding of all aspects of mechanical, electronic and information technology.
Marco is experienced in the fields of optics, software, general mechanics and fine-mechanical constructions. In addition, he has specialized in physical and electrical systems and computer systems, as well as a diverse field of medical devices.
He has been involved in a number of (international) infringement cases (i.a. MPEG, MP3, Samsung-Apple, Google-Sonos, SLDE-Nespresso, Heineken-AB InBev) as well as about 60 oppositions/appeals before the EPO.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (2003-present)
- Engineer / Project Manager, Frencken Mechatronics (2000-2003)
- Instrument Designer, Optel (1997-2000)
- Professional Doctorate in Engineering, Stan Ackermans Institute (1997)
- MSc in Applied Physics, Eindhoven University of Technology (1994)
- Recommended individual (JUVE Patent 2020, 2021, 2022)
- “Safe pair of hands in supporting mobile communication disputes” (JUVE Patent 2022)
- “V.O. excelled in one of the few new mobile communications cases in the Netherlands on the side of Google against Sonos regarding speaker technology. Both companies are fighting parallel proceedings in Germany. The firm also represents Assia in a dispute over DSL technology. Marco Box’s reputation for mobile communications cases is therefore strong.” (JUVE Patent 2021)
- “Marco Box demonstrates impressive range as a patent attorney and is a quick study when it comes to mechanical, electrical and computer technologies. The valuable portfolios he builds are critical to his clients and instrumental in the successful launch of their new products” (IAM Patent 1000, 2021)
- Recommended Individual (IAM Patent 1000, 2020, 2021, 2022).
- “Great to work with in telecommunication disputes” (JUVE Patent 2020)
- “Head of the Leuven office, Marco Box draws on his engineering background to quickly get to grips with his clients’ technologies and always puts himself in their position, thinking strategically and globally about IP value creation” (IAM Patent 1000, 2019)
- “Leuven team captain Marco Box’s encyclopaedic knowledge of mechanics and IT ‘earned him a well-deserved promotion to partner last year and prestige as a go-to guy in these fields’. Box is currently educating inventors on the potential for patenting software to rapidly increase the number of filings in this sector” (IAM Patent 1000, 2018)
- “Marco Box is a physics, mechanics and electronics maven who has lately been concentrating on software-related patents. The judicious drafter also knows his way around opposition proceedings. He recently obtained technology rights for 3ax BV’s pioneering bicycle pedal” (IAM Patent 1000, 2017)