- Chemistry and Life Sciences
- Patent Attorney , Partner
- Amsterdam (NL)
- +31 20 530 79 91
- "No matter what accomplishments your business makes, IP protection of essential technologies is vital to stay ahead of the competition"
Frits Schut has been involved in patenting since 1995, when exploiting patented inventions of which he was a co-inventor in a biotech startup.
Frits studied biology at the universities of Utrecht, Amsterdam and obtained his PhD in microbiology from the university of Groningen. While performing part of his PhD work at the University of Alaska Fairbanks he came into contact with molecular genetics and DNA diagnostics. He was able to further develop these techniques for medical and veterinary application with the Medical faculty in Groningen and these developments were commercially implemented in a startup diagnostic company, of which he was a co-director.
Frits joined V.O. in 2001. He has broad expertise, and is particularly involved in therapeutic and diagnostic (medical) biotechnology, microbiology and plant protection. Both because of his background and portfolio, Frits has special experience with Life Science companies aiming to protect their essential technologies. He has a wide experience in patent cases before the European Patent Office and the Court of The Hague. Frits also has experience with plant protection before the Dutch and Community Plant Variety Office.
- Patent Attorney, V.O. (2001-present)
- Co-Director and CSO Microscreen, Groningen (1995-2000)
- Post-Doc, University of Groningen (1993)
- Visiting Scientist, University of Alaska Fairbanks (1988)
- PhD in Microbiology, University of Groningen (1994)
- MSc in Biology, University of Groningen (1988), Major in Microbiology
- European Patent Attorney
- Dutch Patent Attorney
- Agreements / contracts
- Biomedical technology
- Cell biology and genetics
- Energy and sustainability
- Life Science
- Medical diagnostics
- Organic chemistry
Professional & Community Activities
- Member of UNION (Secretary of Life Sciences Commission)
- Member of AIPLA
- Member of FICPI
- Member of Netherlands Institute of Patent Attorneys
- Member of EPI